Friday, August 19, 2011

I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike!



For several years now I haven't had a bike. To be honest when we lived in NW Illinois, there wasn't anywhere to ride a bike to that was safe enough to enjoy. But here in WI, there are beautiful bike trails and most towns have bike lanes on the busier streets. So we began the "let's find Mer a bike" hunt. Now, with the number of bikes in existence already, I couldn't stand the thought of buying a NEW bike. And to me, most of the new ones weren't as sturdy as the older ones or as cute. I wanted a beach-crusier to just get me around town. I'm not planning on entering the Tour de Wisconsin (not a real race); I just want to ride my bike to the library.



Matt scoured Craigslist for me and found the perfect bike (for me). It's probably as old as I am since it has a bike registration tag for a nearby town dated from the same year I was born but it's still in good shape. The lady we bought it from had bought it for her mother who couldn't ride it any longer.



We paid the huge sum of $30 for it plus new tires (and a basket) and in the end, the bike was still cheaper than a new one and is of a sturdier construction.



Now I'm trying to figure out all the places I can ride my bike to. We have a grocery store just a few blocks down from us and when we need just a couple of items, I like to ride my bike. The day I made jelly and bought 10 pounds of sugar, I drove. My basket is only rated to 5 lbs. :) And I didn't want to walk with the sugar and all the other canning supplies I needed!


I take it to the library and use a fun pedestrian bridge across the river and a route that takes me around the big hill rather than over it. The only problem with a beach crusier is the one gear: me and hills can be a killer!



And yes, Mom, I wear a helmet!



My bike!



3 comments:

Guz said...

You ever take that bike off any sweet jumps?

Alaina Falk said...

I just got that same bike, I think! Exactly what I wanted and kept telling my husband and brother. Too funny! LOVE IT! I have yet to add a basket but it is on my to-do. :)

Jenny S said...

Great to have a new bike. i am envious of you being in a world where one can safely ride the bike to the store/library/somewhere... I don't think Noblesville works so well for this. Also, it seems my location is the highest point, possibly of the county. So it's always uphill on the way back home. Ah well. Good for the legs/lungs/mind.