Tuesday, July 14, 2009

I'm mad and I'm not going to take it anymore!! No, not really...

Recently I've been getting annoyed with the world. I don't have a clear reason why, just a general "ticked" feeling. Here are my current top three pet peeves: (I'm glad that I'm typing that because I'm not so certain I could say it. Just tried and nope, can't)

Anyhow,
Issue #1. Our neighbors left for several days. From Saturday until Monday evening, their cat was in an open upstairs window yowling nearly constantly. It broke my heart. Their cat is kinda "borderline" domesticated and feral. He'll let you pet him and then hiss at you. Keeping him locked up doesn't help much with the "feral" issue.
Potential Solution: Tell them the next time I see them that Paws really missed them and that he was yowling for nearly 3 days straight in the open window. Offer to go over and check on the cats since their cats can't do anything differently than ours. If it happens again, call animal control (too harsh??)

Issue #2. The girl behind me in class back talks to the professor who doesn't do anything about it but it annoys me for him. Greatly. (Am I getting old?? Or just wise enough to know not to back talk professors. It's not cute or clever.) She is also very immature, which shows through almost every day. Uggh, I'm getting annoyed just thinking about it.
Potential Solution: Tell her to be quiet!!! No, that's what I WANT to do. I don't have any but does anyone have any thoughts.

Issue #3. Annoying lady at church. I won't go into too much but let's just say that she's THAT lady, the one who looks/sneers at you when you come to church 5 minutes late.
Potential Solution: Avoidance has worked thus far, why change? Also, wake up 5 minutes earlier.

So all of these petty annoyances have made me wonder what is going on. Is the world changing or am I? Does anyone else ever feel this way? This morning on my way to school, a car turned left right in front of another car who had to stop to let the first car go by so it wouldn't hit it. The second car beeped it's horn at the first car who flipped off the second car. Why? For not hitting it?? For letting them know that they almost caused an accident??

Sorry this post is a downer. But, since life is a constant process to improve, I have decided what to do to counter-act all these annoyances: something unexpectedly nice. Hold doors for people. Let them go first. Do what I can to help them. I know that I'm not the first to think of this but I do feel that if by making my world a little better, then I help the entire world. Pass it on!!!!

5 comments:

Merrilee said...

I forgot, the annoying girl in class also raps her fake nails against the desk constantly. Yet another reason to turn around and yank them off!

Jenna said...

I don't think the world has gotten meaner and I don't think it's you. I think sometimes we just go through periods where things annoy us more than other times and that's okay... so long as you keep it in perspective.
In terms of your second challenge... the one thing I would NOT do is write on the teacher's evaluation that he/she should have stood up for themselves... because it's entirely possible that he/she doesn't notice the comments (talking from personal experience here). So, there are two things I would suggest:
1. Can you move seats? Usually college doesn't have assigned seats though students tend to assign themselves (have you noticed that?). But could you move so you're not quite so close to her and if possible behind her, so that you can glare at the back or her head? I find that helps me sometimes :)
2. If it really bothers you, talk to the teacher about it. He or she might be able to give you their take on it which might make future comments less annoying to you...
Just some thoughts.

Mel said...

I don't really have any helpful hints, or ideas about what's bothering you. Sorry Mer. I don't think the world is getting meaner, but I definitely think it is getting more selfish. Children are taught that they are owed something and we are seeing that in the adults that are now going to school, church, driving. It's crazy. There is no accountability anymore, except from a minority of people. The church lady may just see you as a newcomer. I don't know. Are you really trying to win her over, or just make her stop glaring?

Jenny said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE your idea for #1, especially your kind offer to "look in on them". VERY nice.

Girl in #2 needs glared at, and then (occasionally) a "Do you MIND?" in a super-snotty voice. Also I like the moving-seats suggestion from our professor friend. perhaps if you were behind her, you could throw paper wads into her hair. Maybe you could get to class before she arrives and sit in her chair.

The lady at church. Avoidance is the best route. (Been there, done that.) Second best? Pretend you love her. Give her a big smile and wave when she glares at you for being late. Hug her -- a big, uncomfortable, full-on hug -- every time you get a chance. It will either repel her or maybe soften her a little. :)

PK said...

Merrilee,
don't worry about it. you are not alone in the world! I have wanted to tell people off more than once. just make sure you really do it every once in a while and you will feel better. I find if you say it with a smile you may still be a bitch but at least you were nicer than just yelling. I suggest you take your advice with the cat neighbor. That will help. Maybe telling the girl she needs to be quiete so you can listen would be helpful too.

And as for the lady at church, I dare you to stick your tongue out at her. :)