Friday, July 15, 2011

Product testing: Soap Nuts


I tried soap nuts as an alternative to laundry detergent.





There were about 25 soap nuts per box. According to the box, each load needs about 5 nuts (to be placed in the bag provided) and you can get about 4-5 loads from each batch of nuts.


One slightly blurry soap nut. The nuts have this resin on them that isn't sticky but looks like it might be. They don't have any smell to them.




The bag provided for the nuts.




The soap nuts in action.


End result: They worked but I don't think I would get them again. I could get about 3 loads from each batch of soap nuts before they started falling apart and I would have to pick out bits of soap nut from the bottom of the washing machine or dryer. And this is a silly thing but my laundry didn't smell fresh. Yes, I know the "smell" is mostly chemicals but I missed it when I used the soap nuts. For me, they weren't my favorite. Now we're trying a different environmentally friendly laundry detergent.

2 comments:

Erin E. said...

Soap Nuts sound interesting to say the least! I've been making my own detergent for over a year...even works great with dirty cloth diapers.

1 c. baking soda, 1 c. washing soda
Mix together in stand mixer
Mix in 1/4 c. liquid castille soap (I use Dr. Bronner's - which comes in different scents, or unscented)
SLOWLY add 1 c. vinegar while constantly mixing on medium speed. Detergent will turn soupy and then start to turn to a heavy powder. I've starting taking a pastry blender to break up any larger clumps once I've let it "cool off" for a bit before I put it into a tupperware for storage. You can make this without a stand mixer, but your arm will get very tired.
I use 1/2 c. per load for my front loader. And I just add additional vinegar to the softener compartment.
This recipe takes just a little bit of time (I usually double or triple the recipe when I make it in my stand mixer), it lasts a while (about 1+ month for me and I wash diapers every day), and it costs just pennies compared to buying detergent at the store. Hope you try it and share it :)

Merrilee said...

That sounds like a really interesting recipe; I've seen others but I like the sound of yours better than the others. I've been using a 7th generation detergent but it's expensive! I'll definitely try yours!!!