Thursday, June 19, 2008

Rain, Rain go away

We have had enough rain already. Honestly, enough. Luckily, we haven't had any problems with flooding like other areas have had, i.e. Cedar Rapids, IA which is completely underwater. The only good news is that with all this rain, our garden is looking very nice. Our tomatoes and pepper plants are growing well and my beets are coming up! Matt's potatoes are coming up too!!Yay!!!!!

This past weekend was our Cemetery Walk fundraiser for the museum. We have it at a beautiful cemetery here in town: rolling hills, huge trees, and nice paths. I wore my '86 wrapper for a change (everyone always wears fancy clothing when they dress up, I like to wear oldey-timey normal clothing: proof yet again that I"m a social historian.) Anyhow, when I was putting on my dress, it felt like I was slipping into an old friend. You know that feeling you get when you put on clothing that you used to wear all the time and stopped wearing, only to start again? Yep, that one. I even wore my apron ( I needed the pocket for my keys and cell phone.)

I did have to chuckle to myself though: my dress was the only one with "authentic" wear patterns. Underarms and bodice front issues. Plus bleach stains on the hem!

I'll post pictures of our garden soon and show you all our new exhibit at the museum!

2 comments:

Alaina said...

Isn't amazing how "right" the whole costume thing feels? I hadn't worn mine in a few years (until last year) and it was like I'd never stopped. :) Maybe scary... :)

Our tomatoes and pepper are LOVING this weather, too! I'm hoping that means a lot of produce! Can't wait to see the pictures.

Anonymous said...

And since the wondrous silk gown for the "wedding" many moons ago stayed at the Prairie -- and got worn by Dan as the bearded lady -- you have to have something normal to wear.
We were talking about you, the dress, Dan in the dress, and your upcoming birthday last night at sewing.
We miss you.