Thursday, April 30, 2009

The end of school...

Is almost here!!! Yippee!!!!

Then it's onto summer school followed by student teaching followed by??????

I had a tough day Wednesday. In the morning I was talking with a classmate when I suddenly swallowed my gum. I choked a little but managed to keep on talking! Then I was walking to class and tripped over a bit of sidewalk in front of an entire class of 2nd graders on campus for some reason. Always good to look silly in front of 2nd graders.

When I reached home, I decided to go for a walk. On my way home, a vulture started to circle me. Now, I walk about 3 miles and while I'm climbing the last hill, I do sometimes think, "Oh, I'm not going to make it," but death is not really in the picture at that time. I thought that maybe the vulture knew something I didn't and that if this is what impending death feels like, I feel pretty good. Who knew there were so many endorphins connected with death!!

Anyhow, the vulture circled me a couple of times and swooped off somewhere else, apparently deciding that I was moving too much to be dead. Vultures are just ugly, prehistoric looking creatures.

Today in my pre-student teaching class, we made reticules. We've been reading a novel about traveling on the Oregon Trail in which the main character makes a reticule. So I got to teach about 9 5th graders to sew. It was....draining. "Mrs. Lee, my string came out of my thingy!" "Mrs. Lee, the needle is poking me." "Mrs. Lee, I broke my sewing." "Mrs. Lee, now what?" "Mrs. Lee, Mrs. Lee, Mrs. Lee" and so on. The kids had fun and didn't do a half bad job for their first time sewing. And, no major bleed-outs, necessary amputations, or anything else that might happen when you give a class of 11 year olds needles and pins!! It was tiring but fun and some of the kids really seemed to enjoy themselves!!!

4 comments:

Alice said...

Come now. after the sewing I know you had to do for Conner, are grade schoolers REALLY that bad??
Try an afterschool class full half of who do not WANT to learn to quilt! LOL

Ericka said...

Did you teach them to cut with precision? And as a side note I still say "where are my armys? In my sleevies!" whenever I get to that point in my sewing. Ken just looks at me strangley...

Jenna said...

Fun with sewing! What a great job!

THE BOY said...

THE GIRL- replace that "??????" with "a highly lucrative career in the fast-paced world of education". Personally, I think if you can teach Ralph Wiggum how to sew a reticule ("Mrs. Lee my needle tastes pointy"), you can teach anyone anything.