Monday, June 22, 2009

Happy Father's Day, a day late...

Happy Father's Day to all the dads in the world!!!! Thanks for being our Dad!!!!

I know that most people think that their father is the best in the world, which is perfectly acceptable, but I know that mine is the best!!!

Top ten reasons why my Dad is the best:

10. Willingly taught me to drive a manual car and didn't get upset when I "killed" the car numerous times or ran stop lights because I didn't want to face 1st gear again!

9. Understood that math and I are not friends even though he is friends with math.

8. Accepted that sometimes I brought home stray cats and dogs because they either a. needed a home or b. our pet was "lonely" and clearly needed a friend.

7. Helped me refurnish a corner cabinet that had been through a fire and had had blue paint spilled on it even though others said we should just get rid of it. It is a family heirloom and turned out to be solid cherry. A true diamond in the rough!!

6. Is always willing to answer my home improvement questions.

5. Is patience exemplified.

4. Even when I was out of college and technically grown up, he would wait for me to come home after being out with friends before going to bed. He wasn't upset that I was out late, he just wanted to be certain that I got home safely.

3. Drives 14 hours to see Matt and I whenever he can (Mom comes too, but this list is about Dad, sorry, Mom) And with driving, a Dad wisdom nugget: When traveling, if you put it (casserole, paint can, milk jug, etc.) on the floor, it can't fall off.

2. Continually shows how to be a good person and how to use the correct tool for the proper job. As he says, "If you have to force it, you're probably doing it wrong."

1. While he will always be my dad, he is now and forever more my friend.

4 comments:

Jenna said...

That is true sweet Mer... I'm sure your dad will love this list.

Alice said...

A very good list. About #3. A baby who is changed on the floor also can not fall off the floor. the same can not be said when the baby is on the dryer!

Jill Jones - Bayne said...

As a former student and now a co-worker I must agree that your dad is one of the most patient men I know. And I can add another quality to the list....never too busy to help a student with a math question. I have heard most of the stories on your list, with #10 being the most humorous by far!
Jill

Mom said...

Your list about Dad is wonderful!! Thank you for putting into words what we all know is true!! Mom