Friday, June 5, 2009

This Old House, the gardening edition



Sorry for the lack of posts. After school ended, I came down with some sort of bug. It wasn't the porky flu but Matt said that I had the Monkey Virus or M1K1 as he called it. It took me a couple of weeks to feel better but now I'm myself again, except for my insatiable appetite for bananas....


Matt and I have been very busy around our house. We decided not to plant any vegetables this year and instead focus on our flowers and pretty gardening. So we laid a brick border around our flower beds and planted new plants to help pretty-fy the place.


Look at our pretty home. I must say, and I'm not biased, that this is the prettiest home I've ever owned (of course, it's the only home I've ever owned...)







I forgot to turn this one, so it's sideways, but this is the brick we laid along side the house and some of the flowers we planted.




Our front flower bed. I just planted 53 annuals, most of them in the front but it's going to take them a while to take root. Also planted: lily bulbs, dahlia bulbs, and a rose bush. The flowers on the front step are pansies. My Grandma Ethel loved pansies and I searched for them last year to plant in her memory. I couldn't find them anywhere but this year we have a lovely memory garden for Grandma. Every time I look at them I think of her. (She would be embarrassed by all this attention in my blog but it's my blog and I'll type what I want!)


This is our dwarf burning bush. It was very hard to plant since it is ON FIRE!!! Hahaha, what a bad joke!!! To dig a small hole, we called JULIE. I don't remember what all the letters stand for but basically it is a free utility-marking service. All our utilities came and marked their locations in our yard, which now looks like a clown exploded because of all the different colors of spray paint on the yard!! Anyhow, where we wanted our fire bush was just fine. Yay!
So I think we're good on the yard improvements for a time. Actually, I think we're running out of yard to fiddle with!
And while all these pictures have been uploading, I've been cleaning out a closet. I really don't need training notes from CP anymore or notes from college. If I haven't looked at them in five years, they're gone!!
Mac is trying to help me clean the closet, investigating all the new smells and climbing into the boxes I'm cleaning. What a helpful kitty.......

2 comments:

Jenna said...

Sorry about your bug... I can't believe you didn't plant any vegetables?? I think the bug did affect you!! What are you going to can girl?

Anonymous said...

Honey-- It looks wonderful!!! I'm proud of what all you guys have done. Now, come and give me some lessons! Amo vos, mater