Wednesday, August 25, 2010

School daze

I have now been officially employed for two days! Yay!!! It's been a while since I was officially employed since subbing is just a bit unofficial! I've been in my classroom for more than two days since it takes a bit to get through everything and to make the room look inviting. I've been hanging posters, pictures, and anything I can get my hands on to warm up the room. If anyone just happens to have some economics or women's studies posters out there and isn't certain what to do with them, feel free to send them my way!

I'm a little overwhelmed at the amount of info tossed at me in the last couple of days but it had to be tossed. I can't start the school year and not know certain procedures (well, I could but it wouldn't go well!) I had my second "start of school" nightmare last night. It's not really a nightmare but more like "worst case scenario" for a teacher. My econ. class wouldn't get to work and no matter what I said, how loud I said it, or with so much force, they wouldn't work. Even the threat of not graduating wasn't enough to get them to settle down and start working. Hence the nightmare. My first one dealt with students somehow leaving my classroom to sit in small groups and chat. I tried to give them a detention but it was the first day and I didn't know their names to give them detentions. Hopefully I won't be giving out detentions on the first day!!

Tomorrow I meet the rest of the social studies department. Wish me luck!!!

5 comments:

JayD said...

Good Luck.....but you won't need it because of that CP awesomeness that you and Jenna share :-)

JayD said...

Good Luck.....but you won't need it because of that CP awesomeness that you and Jenna share :-)

JayD said...

But apparently I don't have it because I posted my comment twice....hmmmmmmmmm

JennaN said...

You will be awesome! Don't worry, I have teaching anxiety dreams every year too. Just part of being a teacher I guess.
Have you ever seen any of the Killing Us Softly videos? There are now 4 of them... they're all about the image of women in advertising. You might want to check them out for your women's studies course. I show one in my public speaking course that we then do reaction responses to.

Jenny said...

Consider it wished...
and if it helps, I STILL have preschool-teaching/directing nightmares, and I've been out of that for 9 years now...