Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Friends

Last night Matt and I visited one of our friends who has been in, as she put it, a "happy depression." She's just been in a funk recently and we thought we'd visit her for a while and maybe cheer her up a bit. We took over some baked goods and canned goods but she beat us in the yummy treats department. Rina, our friend, is a 70 year old Italian lady and she loves to entertain and cook. When we got there we talked for a little bit and then she looked at me and said, "Coffee or chocolate milk?" Well, that's a tough decision but I went for the chocolate milk, which turned out to be the best hot chocolate I've ever had. Rina doesn't simply heat water, or if I'm spurgling, milk, in the microwave, oh no. She got out a pan, poured in milk, and let it heat. She did use a hot chocolate mix but it was darn good. And to round it out, since she's Italian, she got out the Nutella and told us to put some in our hot chocolate. Which we did, since we do what Rina says! Oh, it was good. She also had made something called bumblinoni (not spelled correctly) which were a fried dough flavored with lemon. Very good. And perfect for a chilly evening.

Visiting Rina sometimes reminds me of visiting my grandma. No matter what time you visit, you will eat. Don't fight it because it will happen. We went over after 7 and we still had to have something while we were there. And she sent us home with food, homemade biscotti, yumm. Rina and her husband used to own a bakery and she says that his baked goods were always better than hers, but I find that hard to believe since her's are delicious (he passed away a few years ago).

I hope our visit helped. Rina is one of those people who is just always cherry and full of life. To see her upset is probably more upsetting to me. She's a sweet lady.

Did I mention that 1. She lived in Italy during the reign of Mussolini and 2. she grew up with Pavarotti? And now she lives about a mile from us? Wierd!

2 comments:

Alaina said...

How fun! That sounds like such a delightful evening - I'm sure you at least helped to cheer her up. It's totally the same with my grandma - we will always eat and she will always send food home. :) It's okay with me. :)

Jenna said...

She sounds pretty amazing... what a great lady to go visiting!