Monday, February 4, 2008

Ode to the Giants and Jane Austen

Or, How two TVs saved the Lee's marriage

Oh for a Sunday night
to relax and prepare for the week
Superbowl between two
and Masterpiece Theater with Jane
Which shall we watch?
I say Superbowl, you say Jane Austen
Which to be????
You stay here, I'll go up there
And watch my Jane Austen in peace
While listening to you and your father cheer
As the Giants beat the Pats
And Jane flirts with men
Hmmm, wonder if Tom Brady ever read any Austen???

As you can tell, we had a slight problem in our house last night. Matt wanted to watch the game and I wanted to watch the next installment of Masterpiece Theater. They're showing all of their Jane Austen works: next week, Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth. Yay!
Anyhow, we worked it out and inbetween witty barbs in sitting rooms holding cups of tea, I heard "Go, go, go! Yes!!!!" and thought that the Giants must be doing something right!!!

In response to Boy's (my brother, just in case you were curious) question regarding gardening, I try to share some tips:

~Plant only what grows in your zone. If you're not certain of your zone, look at a seed catalog. Here we are zone 4/5 depending on the catalog and where the line is drawn.
~I love heirloom plants, particularly tomatoes, but our growing season is about 2-3 weeks shorter than central Indiana and unfortunately, that is just enough that the tomatoes don't have enough time to fully ripen. Pay attention to your first and last frost. I know that they can be at odd times when you live in the Midwest but they still dictate your growing season
~Compost, compost, compost. Mother Nature gave us all the things we need to grown plants and veggies. Stay away from chemicals if possible. Granted, there are times that you need them, but for the most part, you don't. Find out what your plants like and use it. My tomatoes love my coffee grounds and egg shells. And since I drink coffee every day and use eggs probably at least once a week, we have them on hand. AND they don't smell like other compost. They both just dry out. Crumble them up and mix them into your soil during planting. If you start to see spots on the bottoms of your tomatoes (blossom end rot) add more eggs. Your tomatoes need more calcium.

Any other thoughts on gardening??


Well, now, I'm ready for spring. Which is good since it's going to rain/snow here all day today and tomorrow.......

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have yet to find out whether our fake-TiVo computer recorded Miss Austen for me. I checked yesterday but the computer was being flaky. If not, the Giants STINK!

Kate Ambrose said...

Thanks for the hints on gardening. Last year my tomatoes had the blossom end rot, and I had no idea what to do!

-a former CP compatriot

Alaina said...

I can't wait to plant my garden after this post. :) I've been using the lasagna style gardening with some success. And I plant LOTS of herbs...wonder why?! :)

I cheered the Giants on to victory while our DVR recorded Jane Austen - like Jenny, I'm hoping it worked! But I will still be happy about the Giants! :)

Jenna said...

I don't think Jane Austen was on here... I watched the football game while Reid goofed around on the computer in the other room... isn't there something wrong with that picture?